Monday, January 25, 2010

Writing post How much is enough?

Today when I was sitting at my kitchen table writing out my bills a question came to me...How much money is enough? Is it enough when you can pay all your bills? Or is it enough when there is some left over for fun but non-essentials? Is it enough when you have a small savings account with the recommended 3-6 months emergency fund?

I have been very fortunate in my life to have a loving family and wonderful friends...but it seems as though there has never been a lot of extra money. Sometimes when I think about not quite enough money I realize I have always had a roof over my head and food and clothing, and to ask for more than that while looking into the eyes of the Haitian children seems to be a rather greedy desire. I am a woman with everything I need, despite the lack of extra money. So many children and adults in Haiti (and elsewhere) are suffering because of a lack of food or even clean water. It makes me want to change what I think about how much is enough. I may not be able to afford a vacation, but that seems far less important as I watch the disaster unfold and the lives that hang in the balance in Haiti. Enough money is just that...enough.

3 comments:

  1. We have enough Kathy. I am thankful to you for making me realize that almost every single day.

    This post is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on a buying pants spree this past week to help fortify my current wardrobe (and because quite a few things are on sale at the stores). But really, how many pairs of pants do I need? I think back when I was a poor military wife living in Panama and I had only two pairs of jeans and three tops and that's what I alternated wearing through the week. I survived just fine back then. So really, I have more than enough pants now. And that goes for a whole lot of other categories too. I am so fortunate to have food on the table and a roof and a bed and health insurance and a vehicle and...I think I can stop buying pants for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very thankful for what I have.
    When I know people are hurting and dying, I feel guilty eating, or even being alive.
    We are fortunate

    ReplyDelete